Sunday, May 22, 2011

How would you feel if you weren’t allowed to drive a car?




Manal al-Sherif, Saudi Woman, Detained For Defying Driving Ban

This article really stuck out in my mind because of how much I enjoy the freedom to jump in my car anytime I want and go for a ride. Ever since I was sixteen I have treasured the alone time I have in my car....it’s just me, the open road, and the music that puts me at ease. To not even have the option of doing so would be debilitating to me.

“Authorities detained a Saudi woman on Saturday after she launched a campaign against the driving ban for women in the ultraconservative kingdom and posted a video of herself behind the wheel on Facebook and YouTube to encourage others to copy her.”

Women must hire live in drivers that cost about $300-$400/month or rely on male family members to drive to work, school, grocery stores, doctor appointments, etc.

This relates to our class discussions because this article just like many of the accounts we’ve heard throughout this term shows us that every aspect of life has multiple lenses it can be viewed from. It is important to be aware of the alternate lenses so we don’t simply look at the people involved in unfamiliar situations as the “other”.

2 comments:

  1. I love being able to drive my car... Being able to go where I want when I want is a part of my individual independence that I wouldn't want taken away.

    Gender equality is important. If men can drive cars, women should be able to. Keeping women from driving perpetuates the subordination of women by men.

    This woman breaks the paradigm of women being "victims" or having things done to them by planning, organizing and using the media (Facebook and Youtube) to get word out of what she had done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Leanna, and I think it is a hard reality to see women being punished for doing something that we take so readily for granted sometimes.

    However, both of you have stated that your independence and your freedom are significantly affected by having the ability to get in your car and go someplace. How do you think women's identities are constructed who do not even have the ability to purchase a car, let alone drive one that is in their possession? How do you think those women define freedom and independence when they rely on other forms of transport to get them where they need to go? You have said that to not have a car would be "debilitating." Do you think women who are not financially able to have a car see themselves as debilitated? It seems like the privilege to drive a car is not merely inscribed in gender opportunities, but also economic ones. When compounded together or viewed seperately, how does that affect a person's sense of self?

    ReplyDelete